I have to admit, I have been waiting for this one. I was finally tagged for the book meme by Nicky at A Skirmish of Wit.
1) One book that changed your life: Atlas Shrugged – Ayn Rand. I know a lot of people hated this novel, but I read it at exactly the right time in my life. It was liberating.
2) One book that you’d read more than once: Slaughterhouse-Five – Kurt Vonnegut Jr. I love all of his work, but this really stands out as his best. It is a classic for a reason.
3) One book you’d want on a deserted island: War and Peace – Tolstoy. I have wanted to read this novel for a long time, but the length is intimidating. I think if I were stranded with it I could read it.
4) One book that made you laugh: Angela’s Ashes – Frank McCourt. I know it is a serious and sad memoir, but it was hilarious.
5) One book that made you cry: We Were The Mulvaneys – Joyce Carol Oates. Holy shit this book is depressing.
6) One book you wish you’d written: Harry Potter (just for the money) or Fight Club – Chuck Palahniuk. I know it’s two, but it is for very different reasons. I think Fight Club is amazingly insightful and well written. It is the best book I’ve read in years and I think about it all of the time.
7) One book you wish had never been written: I really hated On the Road but I wouldn’t go so far as to say I wish it had never been written. Maybe What to Expect When You’re Expecting. That book just lists birth defects one or two at a time so you feel even more terrible during your entire pregnancy.
8) One book you’re currently reading: The Ha-Ha – David King
9) One book you’ve been meaning to read: I have a four page list running, but I’ll tell you Three Fallen Women by Amy Guth. I was trying to score a free copy, but I eventually broke down and ordered it the other day. Now I’m just waiting for it to show up.