On 36

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “On 36”.

comments

Comments

1. Assertagirl says:

Oh mah gawd I’d NEVER have guessed you over 30, even. Mwah.

2. Patience says:

Hmmm. When I was 36 years old, you were being born. So there!

3. cheryl says:

The one that gets me now is that when I’m buying hootch, the “You Must Have Been Born in 1987 in order to purchase alcohol” stickers…that is the year I graduated from COLLEGE. Kids born THEN are 21! That freaks me out. Like you, I’m a December birthday…but I’ll be 44…and truly, it DOES keep getting better and better. (‘Cept for an aching back every now and then… ;) ) Truly, I think when I was younger I imagined how “terrible” it must be to be “old,” and now that I AM “old” it feels MUCH better than when I was “young!” ;)

Happy almost birthday!

4. I’m just a couple years younger than you and I’m finding myself thinking about these things, too!

There are some moms in my Moms’ Club that are *younger* than the kids I used to babysit.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

*gulp*

Happy Early Birthday! :)

5. Carmen says:

Oh holy doodle. I turned 36 in October and I had never done the math regarding seniors in high school. That is a FRIGHTENING thought. I do believe I am unable to process that. Commencing mental meltdown…

6. Audrey says:

I hear you, I will be 34 in January and married for 10 years in May…the music I listen to is on the oldies stations now. And teenagers are into “retro” things, like yesterday I saw a girl walking home from school with a Misfits bag. Gotta love Hot Topic!

7. Seeing as I turned 36 last month, I’m going to stick my head in the sand and forget that I ever read this post.

8. Sports Mama says:

What kills me is that I can remember vividly my life when I was the same age as my oldest son, the sophomore in high school.

At my last birthday, the big joke between my kids was laughing about how mom was “halfway to 70″. Ugh.

9. I’ll be 36 in January, so yeah, you’re really old. That extra month validates my bias.

Since I’m currently in graduate school, I have the opportunity to see those little whippersnappers of which you speak regularly. Sometimes I stop them and say, ‘You make me sick. STAY OFF MY LAWN!’ Because they’re young and carefree and stupid in ways that I certainly never was, gracious me, no.

It’s all very strange.

10. Yup. I’ll be 36 in Feb. Scary when I see kids I used to babysit for AS INFANTS now on Facebook. Gah!

11. Headless Mom says:

Just wait until 40. And you have one graduation from High School. And going to college.

Killing me.

12. Kevin says:

I can so totally relate. I just turned 36 in September. It’s very disturbing to sit down with new sailors who report aboard your ship and find out they were born when you were in high school.

More and more, I find things that “date” me. For example, whenever I make a Johnny Carson quote, all the kids at work look at me quizically because they have NO CLUE what I’m talking about and they don’t find it funny whatsoever.

13. HeyJoe says:

I’d rather not process that, thank you. I turned 43 this past July.

What are you gonna do? It beats the alternative.

14. Tito says:

I was just filling this guy’s life insurance application out when they asked when he quit smoking. My info said 15years ago. Ok so 2008 minus 15= 1993
    What? I’ve been out of high school for 15 years. How come no one told me?

15. Momo Fali says:

Dude. I’m already 37.

16. Zandria says:

You’re an AWESOME 36 and that’s all that matters!

(P.S. I thought you were in your early 30s, so you’re looking extra good for your not-old age!) :)

17. Amy says:

I did the 36th bday last week…and I did the same math! I called my college roommate and asked her how it was possible we’ve known each other half our lives?!?

Yet, that doesn’t bother me AS much as having children attending my school whose PARENTS I taught. What???

18. Ree says:

Um. MY kid is a senior in High School.

I think you’re an awesome 35 nearly 36.

19. Christina says:

So if kids born the year you graduated HS are now graduating HS, that means several kids born to those I went to HS with are graduating, too. (Small town school, lots of teen pregnancy.)

I guess we’re now the ones that HS kids roll their eyes at, right?

20. Dory says:

Me, too! 12-19. We can’t REALLY be almost 36, can we?! *sigh*

21. jill says:

blows your mind doesnt it?

22. Whit says:

Holy crap, you’re old?

23. UrbanVox says:

I dread the moment when I’ll be where you are! :)

24. I am actually looking forward to April when I will know the answer to life, the universe and everything.

25. I’ve got a year on you. If you think that having friends with kids who are leaving for college is scary, just think that you kids have probably never known music on a cassette tape, life without the internet and driving in cars without seatbelts. Crazy, eh?

26. Kristabella says:

I don’t really ever feel old, but when I think about things like that (like I’ve known my college friends for 13 years) then I feel old. Thirteen years is a LONG time.

27. laurie says:

But friends you just met this year (ahem) will be 38 in December, so technically in terms of that relationship life span I’m two years old and you’re an infant! Yeah! It’s all in the perspective…;) What day????

And it’s now official, whereas it was merely anecdotal evidence before: a critical mass of cool women I know were born in December. It’s really amazing.

28. Kirsty says:

You should try teaching university students – when I’m in class with them (I teach postgrads), I feel “on a par” with them, like them in age, bla, bla, bla. Then, come exam time, I have to check their ID – and see that some of them were BORN in 1986, which is the year I turned 17.
    And I almost cried when I discovered (though it was hardly a scoop) that the delicious Zac Efron could, just about, technically be young enough to be my son.
    Wow. Now I feel really OLD (and I’ll be 40 in May, God help me).

29. Chris says:

Hey, I’m going to be 36 this month too. When’s your birthday?

30. Vicky says:

I absolutely cannot process this. I always think you are younger than me and I’m the old lady. Kidding.

31. the kaiser says:

I would tell you what 36 rhymes with, but this is a family website…

32. ntsc says:

Come January I’ll have been married 36 years, of course I’ve been divorced for just over 30 of those and in February will be 28 years into a better one.

33. Kristi says:

Me too! But it really bothers me. I thought 35 sounded cool. 36 sounds like….like old, like almost 40! Eeeek! When is your bday? Mine is Dec. 21.

34. Gibby says:

I am 36, and although I was ok with 35, I was pissed about 36. I mean, really, it is on the downhill slide toward 40. In March I will be THIRTY-SEVEN. That almost sounds older than 40. Sigh.

35. BeAGoodDad says:

I just had a similar realization that now that I’m 33 I have been driving for longer than I haven’t been. I guess the big one will come in about 8-10 years when I’ve been married as long I haven’t.

comments