On 38th Birthdays

Tomorrow I turn 38.

38 is an uneventful number. It signifies nothing. I feel neither good not bad about it.

I will celebrate by attending not one – but two first grade holiday parties. Usually I spend my classroom holiday party time running back and forth between two classrooms but this year the teachers or homeroom parents have planned the only two parties I care about two hours apart so I will spend four hours doing crafts with 28 sugar infused six, seven and eight year olds on my birthday.

Awesome. 38 huet caps jersey 38 On 38th Birthdays

I am only being 80% sarcastic. As much as I dread the noise level during and the mess and headache that will follow I have always wanted to be the mom that showed up for the class parties. My mom was always the homeroom mom. I don’t have that in me, but I kind of like talking to the other students and the other parents are always very nice. I like being in the classrooms and getting a feel of where my kids spend all day five days a week. I like hearing the stories that the other parents tell me about their children. They always make me feel like my kids aren’t such freak shows.

I just wish it wasn’t on my birthday.

I’m not sure what I think I would be doing from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM tomorrow if I didn’t have to be at school. In reality, I would probably be writing proposals, checking my e-mail and doing laundry just like every other day. Maybe I would be Christmas shopping.

I was commiserating with White (who sometimes calls me “Tampa” now, like it is my name, probably to punish me for constantly referring to her by her last name) about having Christmas birthdays yesterday and I’ve been wondering what it would be like to have a birthday in March or September or some less busy time of year. It seems so charming, but really, I’ll be 38. It isn’t as if had I been born on April 12 I would be out all night doing shots of Jägermeister.

So 38.

What’s next?

pixel On 38th Birthdays

comments

Comments

1. floreksa says:

Turned 34 yesterday. Spent the day w/ 10 investors hopped up on coffee and donuts. Your day tomorrow will probably, very oddly, mimic how my day went.

2. LauraC says:

I hate to tell you but I have a late March birthday and it was always awesome growing up. My birthday always fell during spring break so no school! As an adult, I’ve kept that tradition and it’s still awesome. It does help that my husband’s birthday is the day after mine so we both take the day off, put the kids in school, and do nothing.

Um, happy birthday?

3. ClumberKim says:

I spent birthday number 43 at a pre-k screening for my son. I felt like I was going to be sick the whole time. I heard a kid who barfed was still admitted but I was pretty sure a barfing parent would be a deal-breaker. I didn’t get sick, but it definitely was not birthday fun.

4. PunditGirl feels your December b-day pain — her b-day is next week, and it always falls between Chanukah and Christmas and we celebrate both. And happy birthday. Keep repeating my mantra — it’s only a number, it’s only a number. xo

5. smart aleck says:

First, happy birthday!

Second, you must follow my half birthday tradition. Mine is in the fall, which isn’t bad, but still gets overshadowed (IMHO) by Halloween and Thanksgiving.

So, count ahead 6 months and make a mini-celebration for yourself. Also a great excuse to buy yourself something when there isn’t a holiday to be found to justify it.

6. jodifur says:

My b-day is always the day before, the day after, or on Mother’s Day. I know it is not the same as Christmas but it is also largely ignored, especially since I had a child, and you do that, is Mother’s Day about you, or your mom, or his mom thing?

Anyway, I feel you.

7. My kids were born May 12th.

I know what you mean.

8. Momo Fali says:

Hey, at least everyone is in the mood to celebrate! Even if everyone, in this case, means little people.

Happy Birthday!

9. Issa says:

Happy Birthday Sarah!!!! I really hope it’s a great one, despite the kid parties.

Um…mine is in April. 4-20. I only say that, so you can imagine how fun it is to be told, dude, you must be thrilled for your birthday. Yeah, I’ve never smoked. Also? My dad every year tells me, I spent all my money on taxes. Sorry kid. Oh and the Columbine shooting happened on my birthday.

So…maybe a December birthday isn’t so horrible?

10. Kate says:

Last year my twins’ Christmas pageant was on my birthday. I seem to remember being in a lot of Christmas pageants on my birthday when I was in school. Totally sucks ass.

I’m making my husband take me out to lunch tomorrow to celebrate my entering Puma-hood. Yeah, that’s right. Tomorrow I am officially a Puma. Look it up on urbandictionary.com biotches.

11. Jen Barron says:

Happy Birthday Sarah!

My daughters birthday is 2-20; smack in the middle of flu season. So far in her little life she’s had one party…her first every year there after someone’s been sick :(
    In my next life all my kids will have summer birthdays!!

12. Headless Mom says:

Fall birthdays suck too.

However, you rock, so how can your day not also rock? Have a great one my friend!

13. Kirsty says:

My elder daughter’s birthday is 27 December (she’ll be 9). When she was smaller, she was convinced everyone put up decorations specially for her and her birthday! So far, she likes having her birthday at Christmas, except for the fact that here in France it invariably means she’s the youngest in her class as the catchment thing is based on calendar years (one of her friends will be 10 on 6 Jan…). The other daughter will be 7 on 27 April and here this makes party dates really complex: the weekend after is invariably 1 May (a public holiday, people often go away) and the one after is 8 May (another public holiday, and people often go away then, too).

As for what comes next? That’s easy! 39!

14. norm says:

What comes next? MORE AWESOME, that’s what. Happy!

15. Tammy says:

My birthday is at a great time (sorry). Eric’s sucks though. It is usually the before school starts. It is almost impossible to find any of his friends, they are all doing the final vacations around that time. Then school starts I am too busy to go to the bathroom (literally). Last year, he had his party 2 months later.

16. Amy says:

Happy Birthday! My 38th was Nov. 16, and now, a month later, I can’t even remember what I did. Oh, wait…I took Brayden to the ENT to hear that he has to have his tonsils out. Woo hoo!

My husband’s birthday was on Thanksgiving Day this year and my niece’s is Christmas Day. They can identify with being overshadowed by a holiday.

Here’s to being 38…(I’ll pretend we are having a beer together)

17. EM says:

Wait, my daughter’s birthday is April 12. Can seven-year-olds do Jager shots?

(Also, my son’s birthday is December 29. Worst. Christmas. EVER.)

comments

Trackbacks

1. [...] A happy birthday to Sarah of Sarah and the Goon Squad, who meditates on the occasion of turning 38. [...]